Prof. Raanan Berger
Head of Cancer Institute.
Head of Clinical Research Institute, Medical Center, Chaim Sheba Tel Hashomer.
Main Specialization: Oncourology.
In the framework of the Research Institute Prof. Berger established the first unit in Israel for phase I studies, which deals with the development of oncology drugs. Today, under his leadership, the Clinical Research Department is a center for the world’s leading pharma companies. This Department carries out all the clinical trials offered in Israel to oncology patients.
Prof. Berger is responsible for clinical research for all kind of cancers: Colon cancer, Breast Cancer, Ovarian Cancer, Lung Cancer, Stomach cancer, Pancreatic cancer , Cervical cancer, Brain cancer GBM type, Head and neck cancer, Liver cancer, Acute leukemia, Prostate cancer, Thyroid Cancer, Stomach cancer, Prostate cancer, Testicular cancer, Melanoma, Bone cancer, Kidney cancer, Penile cancer, Esophageal cancer.
Prof. Berger also initiated and established the Palliative Care Department of the Oncology Institute, which is designed to wrap patients and their families in a multi-system therapeutic environment and to adapt them to personal, family or group therapy. Palliative Care Department cares about pain relieve and other side effects of the disease and medical treatment, and provides the best quality of life for patients and their families.
Prof. Berger also led the establishment of the Department of Emergency Oncology, the first of its kind in Israel. This department allows patients to receive treatment in cases where there is a medical problem due to the oncology disease or its treatment, and it’s not possible to wait for the appointment with the attending oncologist or to visit the family doctor. In addition, Prof. Berger is the director of a large research lab where studies are being conducted to shed light on the molecular mechanisms underlying the development of various malignancies.
In his basic research, he co-authored many scientific papers published in the world’s scientific literature and was a principal investigator in dozens of clinical studies in his fields of expertise, including the WINTHER study in the field of genomic medicine, which was recently published in the prestigious journal Nature Medicine. To date he has won dozens of prizes and research grants.
- Urogynecological oncology.
- Clinical trials all kinds of cancer.
- Personalized targeted treatment, immunotherapy.
- 1999 – graduated from Sackler medical school, Tel-Aviv University.
- 1996 – thesis at the Department of Sackler Human Genetics, Medical School, Tel-Aviv University.
- From 2002 to 2005 – was an intern at the Institute of Cancer Dana Farber, Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts (leaders William C. Hahn, Philip Kantoff).
- From 2000 to 2007 – work at the Department of Oncology and Radiotherapy, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer.
Clinical experience and professional activities
- Treatment of 500 patients each year suffering from urological diseases, including prostate cancer, bladder cancer, testicle cancer and kidney cancer, as well as other types of cancer.
- Implementation of the chemotherapy methods, immunotherapy, biological targeted therapy, radiation therapy, brachytherapy, and drugs used in clinical trials.
- Manual 75 clinical studies in oncology in the early and late stages of the disease.
- Laboratory of Basic Research Management.
- Creation of the first branch of a recognized clinical research in Israel.
- Israel Research Department of Oncology – 1st phase.
- Cooperation with molecular tests laboratories of USA and Europe.
Prof. Berger is responsible for coordinating all clinical research performed at the Institute, manages a research laboratory to identify the causes of prostate cancer and find the right method for treating and preventing the disease.
Prof. Raanan Berger provides professional counseling throughout the process so that the patient can understand that there is someone whom he can trust – a doctor who will do everything possible to make the patient recover, to get on his feet and continue his life as usual.
- Lecturer in oncology Sackler Medical School, Tel Aviv University.
- Lecturer in research work in the field of oncology.
♦ Immunotherapy for kidney cancer is a treatment that stimulates the immune system to fight cancer cells. ⇒ Read more
♦ Molecular genetic tests help to define targeted cancer treatment. ⇒ Review of all molecular tests used in Israel
♦ Robotic or laparascopic surgery allows tumor removal with kidney preservation in Israel. ⇒ Read more
Should you have any question or you need to schedule an appointment, please contact us at +972 54-803-4532, email: email@example.com or fill out the application form
We will contact you as soon as possible.